The College is inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate. From 2016, there are two types of inspections that alternate approximately every three years: A Regulatory Compliance Inspection and an Educational Quality Inspection. Previously there was just one type of inspection known as an Integrated Inspection that took place every six years.
Regulatory Compliance Inspection Report (February 2018)
A Regulatory Compliance Inspection of Shoreham College took place in February 2018 by the ISI.
As this was a compliance only inspection, the ISI reports only on the school's compliance with the standards of provision including safeguarding, curriculum and health and safety. This type of inspection is not graded in terms of excellent, satisfactory etc. Judgements on the eight standards are given as: met or not met.
Shoreham College are pleased to confirm we met all the standards and no further actions were recommended.
The summary evaluation for Shoreham College states:The school meets the standards in the schedule to the Education (Independent School Standards) Regulations 2014 and relevant requirements of the statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, and associated requirements, and no further action is required as a result of this inspection.
Integrated Inspection (January 2015)
The Independent School Inspectors visited the school in January 2015 and we are delighted that the hard work of the staff and pupils has resulted in a report where none of the judgements are less than good and many excellent, across the College.
We are also pleased that the recommendations for the College were, in essence, part of our development planning before the inspection team arrived, showing that our own self-evaluation is indeed effective.
There were some points on which to improve. The governors and staff are determined to build upon our success and not be complacent and work has already been done to evidence our SMSC and PSHE programmes more robustly and a new marking policy is in place across the College. We will continue to work hard to ensure that Shoreham College encourages all its pupils to achieve their full potential.
Please note, the ISI uses four gradings in their reports:
Excellent/Outstanding; Good; Satisfactory; Unsatisfactory.
The quality of academic and other achievements
- The children in EYFS are confident learners and make significant progress from their starting points.
- Progress was excellent in many departments in the Junior school and they achieve a great deal in their practical and physical work too.
- The quality of our teaching is good and often excellent and the College is successful in its aim to provide an education for a wide range of pupils.
- They leave the College in Year 11 having achieved GCSEs according to their ability and having further developed their ability and potential in a wide range of extra-curricular pursuits.
- The pupils' enthusiasm and excellent relationship with their teachers is a major factor in their success.
The quality of the pupils’ personal development
- Pupils display good spiritual development and a thorough understanding of the Christian values that are the heart of the College ethos.
- Pupils' moral development is excellent.
- Throughout the College pupils develop good social relationships in an environment that is safe, secure and happy, and staff provide strong role models.
- Pastoral care is excellent.
- Excellent staff ratios in EYFS ensure that groups are small and the children are well cared for in nurturing environments.
- Behaviour is well monitored in the College.
Governance, leadership and management
- The quality of Governance is excellent.
- Governors fully understand their corporate and legal responsibilities and have full oversight of policies and procedures.
- Leadership and management is good, and a period of instability has been firmly reversed by the appointment of a new Head and a restructuring of Senior Management.